Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sioux City Iowa to Lusk Wyoming via South Dakota

Another huge day with lots of cool stuff. It was raining lightly this morning when I left Sioux City and by the time I got to Sioux Falls SD the weather was quite nice. Basically I went from the east to the west of South Dakota on route 90 again very green and flat, not so many trees as in Iowa. Stopped for a buffalo steak in Kadoka which was really good. The Badlands did not strike me as very special, coming from the south west there are many places that look like that. Wall and Wall Drug in particular is quite the tourist trap, a kind of Knott’s Berry Farm without the rides.

Mt Rushmore was indeed a fantastic national monument. It is quite breathtaking to see for real, I will say it is fairly remote, but I think worth the effort to go see it.

The ride through the Black Hills and down into Wyoming was fantastic, not only for the scenery, but there were thunderstorms, and the light contrasts and lightning made for a spectacular ride. I will say I was a little concerned in the lightning and an absolute downpour, but it did not last for more than a few miles. This day was about 625 miles.

Tomorrow is to Cheyenne, and Denver then home….which I will be happy for.

No comments: