Monday, April 27, 2009

Fantastic history day

I got up this morning, and it was another beautiful day, got on the road and went about one hundred miles due east to Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, and Kitty Hawk. Having known the story of the Wright bros. and powered flight fairly well, when I saw the place, the notes they wrote, some of the tools they used, their systematic approach to problem solving, and final success, it brought tears to my eyes this morning. It may not be for everyone, but for me it was fantastic.

I then got back on the bike and headed north. Traveling up route 158, then 168 into Virginia, over and under the Chesapeake Bay on route 64 through Newport News, Richmond and on up to Charlottesville. Terrific ride, no stopping, traffic moving pretty well I really enjoyed it. Checked into the hotel by 4:00 and made it to Monticello in time for the 4:15 tour. This was another great life experience, I have always admired the image I have of Thomas Jefferson, what a guy!  The tour gives additional insight and Monticello is about as beautiful a house, on a beautiful hill top, as there is in the world.

This is a day I will never forget. Tomorrow I’ll check out the University of Virginia which Jefferson designed, (Neo-Classic) then over the Allegheny Mts and north to Pittsburgh, PA.

No comments: