Monday, July 21, 2008

Sunday - 7/20 Update

Hello everyone, sorry I was not able to post this last night as planned, but I had not internet connection.    We were in Skagway, AK and I suspected we would have strong connections in AK and none in Canada and it has actually been the opposite.

 

As I put in a very brief post I sent from my cell phone last night – I am sorry the "Spot" service was not tracking us as planned.  Mark is our tech guru and while he was laying on the trailside he was telling me how to use it – but I guess I was more rattled than he was and I did not pay very good attention it seems.  I think I have it now and hopefully you will be able to follow us Monday.

 

Sunday we rode from the Dempster intersection about 30 miles west to Dawson City just to check it out.  It was a quaint, old world gold mining town that looked pretty neat but also had a lot of Tourist Trap about it as well.  From Dawson, we rode back past the Dempster intersection and on through Whitehorse and down to Skagway, AK – which was a 485 mile ride on the day.  Our weather sucked most of the day as we rode in rain for hours with temps in the low 50's.  For the last 2 hours, the rain broke – but going to into Skagway we had about a 1.5 hour ride where the temps dipped into the high 30's – so were COLD!

 

The road to Skagway is one of the prettiest I have ever been on in North America.  Very dramatic snow capped peaks amid a high altitude environment not unlike the high sierras with fabulous lakes and waterfalls everywhere.  See photo.  On the way in to Skagway – Rick was in the lead and he had a bear run across the road just a few yards in front of him.  It appeared to be a young bear, but not sure what kind.  It was certainly scared (Rick has that way with things) and scurried under the guard rail, almost getting stuck in the process.  Unfortunately it happened too fast for a picture.

 

Anyhow – tomorrow it is back to Whitehorse and then moving Southeast to Watson Lake for the start of the Cassiar highway ride the next AM.  In Marks absence, I am going to ride with Rick, Bob and Greg through Canada to Seattle and then hook up with Vicki and her sister for a day or two and then Vicki is going to ride down the coast and back home with me over the following week.

No comments: