Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday 7/25 - the wrap up!

Well it seems the party is over and all five riders are scattered to the wind. 

 

Obviously the really sad story of the trip is Mark’s situation.  I was finally able to speak with him this AM as he and Liz were setting in a doctor’s office and we all really feel for him as it could have been any one of us.  The “Black Clay” can take any rider out at a moment’s notice!  It seems he has a fractured T6 vertebra with some processes (the little tabs on your spine) broken or cracked as well and of course his wrist is in pretty bad shape also.  All that said – it was great to finally have a few minutes to speak to him this AM.  We had left messages for him a number of times – but of course we had no cell service in Canada and could only use Skype when and where we had an occasional internet connection (which we have not had for 3 days now).  Please everyone keep your good thoughts and prayers going for Mark and Liz.  As an FYI – his first question to me was (did anyone bring my helmet home?) – not sure if he was planning on riding this afternoon or what – but I had to explain to him that sadly – I think his helmet is in worse shape than he is but it was not able to get airlifted out!

 

Greg headed south mid day yesterday and not sure what his riding plans entail from here – Greg, I wish you good travels and keep and dirty side up (I would say shiny side, but as we all know – there is no shiny side on any of our bike right now).  Also – thanks for the note!

 

Rick and Bob stopped in Bellingham last night and will work their way south through Napa to taste some wines and likely fish a little on the way.

 

Me – I met my wife in Seattle (where she was originally planning to fly from to meet us in Juneau for the ferry trip).  Being the trooper she is – she is going to ride down the coast with me over the next week.  I suspect we might hit a poker room or two along the way.

 

In summary it was mostly a great trip (with the obvious exception of Mark’s situation) and I am glad I did it – but not sure I would do it again.  The riding was fine and I really liked that aspect – but would probably prefer a slower pace with more time in each place and not try to cover quite as much ground as we did.  I will also be more thoughtful about the ability to get medivaced out of a place if need be – prior to deciding to go there (doesn’t mean I won’t go – I will just think about it a minute or two longer thanks to Mark’s lessons).

 

To those of you following along who are planning similar trips in the future – a couple of words of advice:

 

1)       Choose your riding partners carefully – your life could depend on it!

2)      Keep your group as small as possible

3)      Carry a satellite phone at all times when in remote areas

4)      Get the “Follow me Spot” service – it was great and called 911 immediately

5)      Take lots of bug spray to Canada/Alaska

6)      Plan on the potential for long rainy (and cold) days – even in the summer

7)      Carry a spare tire or at least inner tubes for front and rear tires because cuts don’t patch well

8)      The Canadians (and Alaskans) are great people and will help you out a lot – but don’t count on them – be as self sufficient as you can.

 

Finally i really want to thank all the people that helped us get Mark out safely – Stan (proprietor at the Eagle Plains Lodge), his significant other (The Doctor) Joan – the couple from New Zealand that stuck with us for hours until the ambulance arrived, the Geologist/EMT that was so helpful in diagnosing Mark and making him comfortable prior to the Doctor arriving and many, many others.

 

I am hoping to get Mark to drop an entry here as he can as well – but that is it for now.


Steve

No comments: